Since spending time in Crete I have fallen in love with the Greek cuisine. The freshness of the ingredients, the mix of spices and the simplicity of cooking it. It makes for easy, healthy food without even realising it.
This week we have had some sun, finally, so it felt like the perfect moment to break open the BBQ and start enjoying fresh, wholesome food.
Greek Burgers with Lemon Fries
For the Burgers:
– 500g lean ground turkey or chicken breast
– 1 small red onion finely chopped
– 3 cloves of garlic finely chopped
– Handful of chopped fresh coriander
-2 teaspoons smoked paprika
-1/2 teaspoon cumin
– Salt and pepper
-Place the mince, coriander, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
-On a low heat fry the onions in oil until soft, add the garlic, cumin and paprika and fry for another minute. Add this to the mince and mix well.
– Shape into patties, it should be enough for about 5 burgers. Put to one side ready to cook (I barbecued mine, about 5 mins each side)
For the Lemon Fries:
– Frozen oven fries
– 1 tablespoon Chilli oil
– 1 lemon zest and juice
-Pre-heat oven (as fries packet indicates)
– On a oven tray place enough fries for 2 people. Pour 1 tablespoon of chilli oil (or sunflower oil), salt, zest and juice of a lemon onto the fries and mix well.
– Cook and serve with burgers.
Serve with pita bread, salad and salsa.